Thursday, July 24, 2008

Prayer of a Suffering Man - Psalm 22:1-21

My God, my God, why have you rejected me?
You seem far from saving me,
far from the words of my groaning.
My God, I call to you during the day,
but you do not answer.
I call at night;
I am not silent.

You sit as the Holy One.
The praises of Israel are your throne.
Our ancestors trusted you;
they trusted, and you saved them.
They called to you for help
and were rescued.
They trusted you
and were not disappointed.

But I am like a worm instead of a man.
People make fun of me and hate me.
Those who look at me laugh.
They stick out their tongues and shake their heads.
They say, "Turn to the LORD for help.
Maybe he will save you.
If he likes you,
maybe he will rescue you."

You had my mother give birth to me.
You made me trust you
while I was just a baby.
I have leaned on you since the day I was born;
you have been my God since my mother gave me birth.
So don't be far away from me.
Now trouble is near,
and there is no one to help.
People have surrounded me like angry bulls.
Like the strong bulls of Bashan, they are on every side.
Like hungry, roaring lions
they open their mouths at me.
My strength is gone,
like water poured out onto the ground,
and my bones are out of joint.
My heart is like wax
it has melted inside me.
My strength has dried up like a clay pot,
and my tongue sticks to the top of my mouth.
You laid me in the dust of death.
Evil people have surrounded me;
like dogs they have trapped me.
They have bitten my arms and legs.
I can count all my bones;
people look and stare at me.
They divided my clothes among them,
and they threw lots for my clothing.

But, LORD, don't be far away.
You are my strength; hurry to help me.
Save me from the sword;
save my life from the dogs.
Rescue my from the lion's mouth;
save me from the horns of the bulls.

No comments: