Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hmmm...Heart Attack, You Say?

First off, wow! I managed to post every night this week! I'm so impressed with myself, lol. I hope I'm starting a habit here.

Now, Saturdays are supposed to be health updates. I decided 2009 would be my year to get healthy. Finally lose the weight and get to wear baby tees ten years after they've gone out of style. Judging from the past month, maybe I should have started this health thing earlier...

The past month my blood pressure has skyrocketed. Most people would blame it on the fact that I teach sixth grade. Well, this is one thing for which my little "angels" have no responsibility. The past week, I've had random pains in my chest, neck, jaw, and shoulders, as well as having a hard time breathing and extremely high blood pressure. Several nights this week I've gone to bed with the fear that I wasn't waking up in the morning, because I felt so bad. Tuesday night/Wednesday was the worst. I felt awful that day. It was so bad, I stopped by the fire station on the way home, because my best friend was on duty. He's a paramedic, and I let him hook me up to the EKG machine in the ambulance. Yeah, if you know me, you know it had to have been bad for me to allow him to do that. The fear on his face when I was explaining everything made me worry all the more. If he was concerned, that scared me more. That night almost took me to the hospital. I ended up, thankfully, getting ahold of a doctor friend in Maine. He was able to get me set back up on my meds, which I was lacking down here, not having insurance to have a doctor. This is why I never went to the emergency room, although I should have.

FYI: Did you know that a lot of women have different symptoms of heart attack than men? A lot of times, we women don't have the chest grabbing, I can't breath, I can't feel my left arm symptoms. Some symptoms of the "silent heart attack": shortness of breath (check), nausea (check), vomiting, pain in jaw, chest, shoulder, arm, back (check to all except back), unusual fatigue (check), indigestion, gas pains (check), heartburn, anxiety (check), sweating, lightheadedness (check), and, believe it or not, an impending sense of doom (um, not waking up in the morning? check). Those, of course, are not all of them, but a lot. As you can tell, I had a lot of the symptoms. In fact, my doctor friend told me, from what I had described, that it was very likely I had had a very small heart attack earlier this week. Scary much?

Of course, my first thought was, wait a minute. I'm 28 years old! I can't be having a heart attack! But it can happen. My family is riddled with heart disease. It killed my grandfathers (both Dad and Mom's fathers)...it killed my aunt (Mom's sister)...my mom has heart issues...my dad has heart issues. Between family genetics and the way I've cared for myself over the years, it was only a matter of time.

So that's my story. As I sit here typing this, I'm still feeling little pains here and there, and sometimes it's a little hard to get a full breath. But after being on my meds again for the past four days, I'm feeling a bit better. We've also decided to bump me up another pill to hit the blood pressure more aggressively. All in all, I would really appreciate your prayers. For someone my age with no health insurance to be dealing with this, I am still a bit scared about how this is all going to pan out.

There is a good part of this week, though. I've lost 8 pounds this week! Yay!! ;) Love y'all!

7 comments:

Steph said...

oh Tammy! Thats so scary. I remember when I was preg for Hana I had the worst heartburn - I thought for sure it was a heart attack and I ws going to die (then I belched and it went away). I can't imagine not being able to see a doctor and take care of your health! I'm glad you got ahold of someone and are back on meds. Keep working on getting healthy!

Dena said...

That is scary! I had a time once that I ended up in the hospital with severe chest pains, but it was not a heart attack. I bet you were so scared! But on another note - 8 pounds in one week!? Wow! How are you doing it?

Tammy Craig said...

Scared about sums it up, lol. Freaked out works, too. I think I'm starting to feel better. I just wish I could get rid of the random pains, but at least I'm not suffering from the really bad headaches right now. As far as the weight, well, that's just the way my body is. I've lost 15 pounds in one week before. Unfortunately, as fast as I can lose it, I can gain it, lol. It's an evil circle!

Mommy of Four said...

Hey, Tammy, as I was reading this, I thought 2 things: first of all, you NEED to get bloodwork done and get your enzymes checked. Not a horrendously expensive bill to pay, and worth finding out for certain if you did indeed have a heart attack. (yes you can find out just by having blood work done!). Which leads me to my second thought: my guess would be that your enzymes come back fine...what you described to me sounds dead on for anxiety/panic attacks. I have them. I am being treated for them. In fact, I was diagnosed officially for certain today with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, panic attacks and depression. When I was told that I what I was describing is a classic textbook panic attack, my first words were, "But they happen whenever wherever, and even in the middle of the night...when I'm not panicking!" Apparently, it's your body's reaction to any form of stress...which for me, lately, I have an insane amount. But it can be brought on by something as simple as being over-stressed about an up-coming job interview or a test or anything else.

I know you said you don't have insurance, but I REALLY feel like you need to see a doctor and get a workup NOW. Almost every doctor will allow you to be billed, and you can usually go on a repayment plan. Sometimes, some doctors will even not charge you for everything if they know your situation. It's dire that you are being treated for the right condition...and I truly believe with everything in me that you're having panic attacks (heart racing, pounding so hard that you can't catch your breath, lightheadedness, nausea and/or vomiting, sweating, and body aches. Oh yeah, I had the ENTIRE gamut hit me in line in walmart last week. The embarrassment of that alone was enough to kill me! No warning. No instigation. Nothing. Just BAM.

I hope that you can get some concrete answers soon. And I really do hope it's not your heart. Panic attacks are far less scary to treat :) But continue to work on getting healthy and dropping pounds...it's amazing what kind of health benefits you gain just even from losing a mere 5 pounds...it could save your life! Have you tried a doing the South Beach Diet? Not only as a DIET, but as a way of living? Incredible health benefits. Also, going gluten-free really helps the side-symptoms of having PCOS. I'd say a gluten-free south beach diet might really make you feel your total best...it's hard work, but well worth it in the end.

Mommy of Four said...

Oh, and the weight thing...you said you lost 15 lbs in one week? BE CAREFUL with that...when you lose weight that fast, your body loses muscle...and it WILL come right back. Unfortunately, the saying :slow and steady wins the race" applies here more than anywhere. The slower you take it off, the more likely you are to KEEP it off. Go for no more than 7 pounds your first week, and no more than 2 pounds a week after that. (Sorry, my mom is a clinical nutritionist and a personal trainer...so I've had the stuff beat into me since I was a kid). I hope this info helps...

Tammy Craig said...

Thanks, Kayla. It did help a lot. I hadn't considered panic attacks. Can the symptoms change over the years? I used to have those as a teenager, which is completely understandable given the way I grew up. This felt much different than that. But I hope you might be right. I'll have to check that out. I am in the process of checking out different insurances right now. Thankfully my doctor friend was able to set me up for a couple of months. Not sure what's going to happen after that. Prayerfully by then I'll be set up with insurance and a doctor. :) My stepmother is totally into macrobiotics, so she's been talking to me about that route as well. My first instinct is always to research every possibility, so I guess I have a lot of that to do. :) Thank you for your thoughts and concern, all of you. It means a lot. :)

Richards' said...

TAMBER LYNN! You better take care of yourself girl! That state of yours needs a health care system! UGH! I wish I could reach through this computer and hug you! I miss you lots!